We’re currently seeking an experienced Manager with a track record of managing teams and clients to fill a full-time, one-year contract as Project Manager.
This is what you’ll do:
- Set, track, revise and manage timelines for 30+ simultaneous projects (books, videos, magazines, websites, content marketing, digital strategy, storytelling training, etc.)
- Keep clients apprised of project progress, answering (and preempting!) day-to-day questions/concerns throughout the project
- Manage team workflow and capacity and ensure members are tracking time against each project
- Assign project-related tasks and deadlines to team and track their progress/completion
- Advise sales team on creative team’s capacity to take on new projects and find freelance solutions if necessary
- Keep a close eye on the project budget, time and cost over-runs and alert the team (and client if necessary) and create a plan to adjust
- Ensure team members are apprised of any changes to dates or client requests
- Lead production meetings with in-house team
- Participate in client launch meetings and craft project briefs
- Oversee and track client invoicing
- Submit client deliverables and schedule review/feedback meetings
- Get client sign-offs at key milestones
- Lead project wrap meetings with the team at end of each project
- Lead daily 8-minute meetings with in-house team
- Consult with clients at multiple stages of the project to gauge their level of “project delight”
- Schedule and participate in all client feedback meetings, and ensure client feedback is integrated into the manuscript or layout
- Participate in all client process calls at key stages of the project (ie. prior to photo research trips and design briefs)
- Review and edit client communications from the creative team when needed
- Coordinate with Story Director and Studio Manager to track flow of freelance editorial support services (copyediting, proofreading, and indexing)
- Liaise with Story Director/Writers and Art Director to track project progress and manage any issues that could compromise the deadline
- Some North American travel is required (approximately 3 days every 2 months)
This is how your friends and co-workers describe you:
- Exceedingly organized: you love the utility and comfort of project management software and can juggle upwards of 30 project schedules. If someone has a question, you can find the answer at the click of a button. You don’t let anything slide — you leave people feeling confident that “it will get done”
- Extrovert: you are energized by spending the vast majority of your day communicating with the team and clients, in person, by email and over the phone
- You are a problem solver: you proactively seek out issues before they arise. When things go sideways, you stay positive, maintain a good sense of humour and focus on finding solutions quickly
- Curious: you are tapped into what’s going on and want to be in the know
- You thrive in a production/execution environment: you don’t get flustered with a lot going on at once, can roll with a short window in which to plan projects and can adapt to fast-changing circumstancesYou are able to forge authentic relationships with all types of clients. You are personable and confident in your communication. You have a knack for getting people to open up, even the cantankerous or aloof types!
- You take the high road, communicating with kindness and respect. You are able to make clients love and treasure us even when delivering a “no”
- You’re able to dial your energy up and down as needed (we’re an open-concept environment, so sometimes people need a cheerleader but often they just need a grounded, quietly positive influence to support them getting their work done)
- You’re an excellent writer and speller
- You don’t shy away from hard conversations with your clients or your team
- You’re happy working with a variety of software including Excel & Word, Asana, Slack and Box and other tools to keep projects running smoothly.
7 other things about us you should know:
- We have a saying that guides almost everything we do: Relationship trumps transaction
- We like optimists who make us laugh
- We keep sane hours and we take holidays
- Unconventional caring for clients and each other is in each person’s job description
- We believe most hurdles can be overcome with pragmatism, creativity, and humour
- It’s busy here, but we make time for intuition and invention
- We are relentless about getting it right
Who do we work for?
We attract primarily large $1B+ public and private companies across North America and high net-worth individuals. Aside from that, they are an eclectic bunch. And we love them all. We work with successful clients across virtually all industries, including manufacturing, law, retail, mining, oil and gas, not-for-profit, education, healthcare, insurance, accounting, restaurants, construction, transportation, engineering, forestry, retail, and real estate.
To sum up…
Our core purpose: To help people deepen their relationships with those who matter most.
Our mission: To craft emotionally powerful stories that connect and inspire.
Our vision: To be recognized as North America’s most trusted storytelling experts.
Our core values: Unconventional caring + Creative rigour + Positive energy
Type of position: Fixed, one-year contract; Full-time; Monday-Friday; 9am to 5pm
Starting: June 4, 2018
Location: ECHO head office; 1616 West 3rd Avenue, Vancouver, BC
Salary: Negotiable based on experience
Please respond with a CV and an unconventional cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No formalities needed. Let your personality shine. Tell us why you’re perfect for the job. We can’t wait to hear from you.